Wednesday, July 9, 2014

And the Emmy goes to...

Tatiana Maslany is the S***


After a long weekend of celebrating the birth of our country, I decided to celebrate the greatness that is the Canadian, Tatiana Maslany. She is currently the star of the BBC America show, Orphan Black. If youve never heard of Orphan Black, or havent sat down and watched the show yet, I highly recommend that you do. You will not regret it. Not only is the cast perfection, but also, the story keeps my mind engaged and my heart rooting for my favorite characters. Watch the trailer to see what I mean:
Orphan Black starts off as a simple premise. A girl witnesses the suicide of someone that looked exactly like her. However, this simple premise turns into a full blown sci-fi series of awesomeness. It turns out that both girls are clones, and they’re not alone. There are more of them. Bring in Tatiana Maslany. She has portrayed 9 different clones so far. That is just insane. Most actors only act as 1 person. Maslany regularly acts as 9 different people.
9 different personalities.
9 different accents.
9 different personal quirks.
And it’s believable, too. I get so engaged into the show and her acting, it never registers in my mind that she is the same actor.
So why am I going on about this chick you may ask?

Tatiana Maslany deserves an Emmy award. Period. Done.

Tomorrow nominees for the Emmy’s will be announced and I’m expecting Maslany to be nominated. While the other actresses will be nominated for their one role, Maslany will have the 9 roles to help her case. In the show, she’s played Sarah Manning, Elizabeth Childs, Alison Hendrix, Cosima Niehaus, Helena, Katja Obinger, Rachel Duncan, Jennifer Fitzsimmons, and Antoinette “Tony” Sawicki. One could argue that the girl deserves all the nominations in the category. (One could, yes, but let’s not get greedy now)
Proof? OK. The following is proof as to why she deserves all Emmy’s for the rest of all time.
And this video doesn’t even show all of the clones Maslany has portrayed. She is able to go from a con to a cop, from a geek to a freak, and from a girl to a guy. Yep, that’s right. A dude. I thought I had seen everything from Maslany, but then she blew my mind. In this past season, she portrayed a transgender clone. Although unsettling at first, her commitment to the character was undying and again proved how amazing her talent is.
And that talent is unending. She has perfectly captured different personalities and quirks with each clone. As Sarah, she pouts/grimaces. As Alison, her eyes get really big. As Cosima, she emits calm and peace. And as Helena, she portrays child-like (and at times, psychotic) eyes, as if just seeing the world. Every performance is perfect. I could go on and on about her acting.
But please, join me tomorrow in the hopes that she will finally get what she deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment